Churches

in Pyin Oo Lwin

 Home

About Pyin Oo Lwin

Calendar

Getting Around

Health & Safety

Photo Gallery

Real Estate

Travel Agencies

Trekking

What to See

Where to Eat

Where to Shop

Where to Stay

Memoires

Churches

Pagodas

Mosques

There are several churches in Pyin Oo Lwin, with three or four having important historical importance, and of interest to visitors from outside Myanmar.  The old European Cemetery is also of interest, dating back to 1899 (the oldest recorded grave), but somewhat neglected now.  Of greatest interest are:

 

All Saints' Anglican Church, Ziwaki Street, beside the Public Hospital.  Built in 1912 this was the first official Government Church, and has recently renewed many of its ties with historical Maymyo.  It houses a number of plaques donated by regiments which trained in Maymyo before the second world war, as well as priceless stained glass windows from 1927, remarkably restored in 2005.  The 1926 bell still rings before services.  Services in English on the 2nd and 4th Sundays at 0830.  For fascinating photographs of the work of the early Anglican Church in Burma (carried out by SPG - Society for the Propogation of the Gospel), click here.

 

The Sacred Heart Church, near the old European Cemetery.  This was another Anglican Church, the Garrison Church, in colonial times, was used by the Japanese occupying forces as a recreation centre and badminton court, and is now a Roman Catholic Church.  Its spire stands out from the trees as you approach the cemetery.  This picture is taken from the old European cemetery.

 

The Church of the Immaculate Conception, on Boyoke Street, opposite State High School No. 1.  This was built in 1905, too, and was dedicated in 1908.  A wonderfully built wooden interior, and a good number of illuminated icons, give this church a mysterious but welcoming feel.

 

 

 

St Matthew Kachin Baptist Church, Boyoke Street.  This church building was originally one of the three Anglican churches in the town, but during the years after independence Anglican congregations declined and the property was sold to the Kachin Baptists.  A well run orphanage attached to this church has taken in about 200 boys and girls since 2001.

 

 

 

 

Other Christian denominations present in Pyin Oo Lwin include a number of branches of the Baptist Church, a Methodist Church, and a Seventh Day Adventist Church.