|The Church of the Immaculate Conception.
Corner of Boyoke and Shwe Si Gone Streets. Tel. (085)-22742
Priest: Fr. Peter Maung Shwe
This is one of the oldest church building in Pyin Oo Lwin. Building began in about 1906 but it was not consecrated until 1913 with the arrival of Father L. Moindrot, who ministered to the church until his death in 1951. He is buried in the church cemetery. During his time in Pyin Oo Lwin he founded the St Anthony's Society, dedicated to visiting and caring for the sick and visiting hospitals.
In 1935 the church celebrated its silver jubilee. In 1936 the church founded the neighbouring Tamil School, which was nationalised in 1966, and is now a State Middle High School. A number of interesting photographs illustrating the development of this church can be viewed on the walls of the church office in the Clergy House. A full record of births, marriages and deaths has recently been computerised, and it is hoped that these records will soon be available online from this page.
As at the Sacred Heart Church (formerly the Anglican Garrison Church) a Grotto records many of the names of people who have served in the church.
Priests at the Church of the Immaculate Conception:
Fr L. Moindrot, 1913-1951
Fr L. Xavier, 1951-1967
Fr B. Pinto, 1967-1984
Fr Benedine, 1984-1985
Fr Peter U Hla Shwe, 1985-2002
Fr Peter Maung Shwe, 2002-